[GNC] mutual fund opening statement: ok in EUR, missing in USD

Andrea Borgia andrea at borgia.bo.it
Sat Apr 9 10:56:00 EDT 2022

Hello.

I prefer to keep my books divided by year, so in spring I typically
close the old book and start a new one with mostly the same accounts,
been doing that for a while and I keep notes reminding myself of all the
steps to take.

I have a number of mutual funds, including one which is priced in USD
(and bought in 2021), whereas the other are all in EUR. From each fund
page, I record the opening statement as:

* transfer from Capital:EUR or Capital:USD (asset type accounts)

* input the number of shares

* tab to "buy" and enter the end of year valuation

* let the price be determined automatically

Looking from the respective "capital" page, I should see (in one-line
mode) the name of the fund account and an increase in value of "capital"
corresponding to the valuation.

Well, this happens for all the EUR-priced funds, but the USD one shows
no increase, even if the line is visible.

This makes me wonder: should I record it in two steps, perhaps? First
EUR to USD via trading:currency account, then USD to fund?

To phrase it differently: the way I understand my current approach, I am
carrying over the valuation in USD; should I instead carry it over in
EUR? The bank statement apparently does this, because they list the
price in USD, the exchange rate and the corresponding EUR valuation at
end of year. Also, looking closely at the fund editor, I do not see a
currency field anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Andrea.