[GNC] Import overwrites transaction description

Kalpesh Patel kalpesh.patel at usa.net
Sat Apr 9 17:11:11 EDT 2022

So this is the same work flow that has annoyed me in the past, and I have
found a work around that works well for me.

As you recall that GC is a double entry system so every transaction has a
Description that is common for both sides of the transaction, and then what
most folks don't realize is that there is an individual Memo fields for each
side of the transaction - thus three different way to denote the
transaction. Put what would be the description (Smith Plumbing) in the Memo
field of the non-bank contra entry and the check number in the Memo field of
the bank entry when manually creating the transaction. Memos DO NOT get
over-written during import of the OFX file.

IMHO, the import should allow updating of the Description or the Memo field
of the transaction (selectable during import dialogue box prompt). My need
is a bit more complex as for some entries I import via OFX into both
accounts (bank account and credit card account) and having only one
Description for both side ends up overwriting the previously imported entry
and shows Description for whichever ever one was imported last amongst two.

In more modern releases (I've seen it in v4.8) there is an additional check
mark at the bottom of "Generic import transaction matcher" window called
"Append" which actually doesn't overwrite but appends the imported
description as an additional text to Description field. This might be an
alternate work around. I am not entirely sure if you import same entry
multiple time with "Append" box checked keeps on adding same description
multiple times or not - I have not used this feature.

Technically speaking if you wanted to match up your ledger with institution
holding the account than the Description of "CHECK # 205" is correct
Description for it in GC. Whether that Description is useful or not is
definitely debatable with opinions on both sides with equal passion.

Message: 3