[GNC] Reconciliation discrepancies

Alan A Holmes gnucash at alanaholmes.me.uk
Tue Apr 12 03:23:18 EDT 2022

Hi Rich,

I had a problem with reconciling just over a year ago. It happened on 2
separate occasions.

My workflow to reconcile on both occasions was :-
1. Open the bank statement, and copy the closing balance.
2. Open the appropriate account in GnuCash.
3. Click the reconcile icon.
4. Enter the Statement Date as the date of the bank statement, and paste
closing balance from 1. Into the ending balance field.
5. Select all the appropriate transactions, checking their values.
6. I'd then find difference, usually several hundred £'s. No missed or
incorrect transactions in GnuCash.
7. Cancel the reconcile.
8. Repeat steps 1-7.
9. Start tearing hair out.
10. Repeat steps 2-3
11. Enter the Statement Date as the date of the bank statement, and type in
closing balance from the bank statement Into the ending balance field.
12. Repeat step 5.
13. Lucky for me rather than unlucky. The account would balance.
Conclusion - Even though the bank account balance I copied and pasted was
the same as I typed in it appears as though something got copied across that
caused the problem. Whether it was an invisible character, or a bad
character, or what, I have no idea.

It only happened the twice. I still follow the workflow in steps 1-5 now,
but don't have the problem is step 5. Any differences I've found was down to
me.

Alan A Holmes