[GNC] Reconciliation discrepancies

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Tue Apr 12 06:09:26 EDT 2022

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 14:36:41 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> Every now and then one of my bank accounts doesn't reconcile because
> what the bank shows differs from what GnuCash shows. The amounts are
> significant. What puzzles me is that the previous month's balances
> (bank and GC) match and so do all the transactions. But, the end of
> month balances don't match.

Rich when I get into a mess, I do very small increments on the
reconcile. For example, just choosing a date about 10 transactions
down, or one week, and then I will go through very slowly, doing small
chunks.
Assume this is one month, and I am doing weekly...
I find the bank's ending balance for 7th of month, put 7th of correct
month and the balance from the bank statement into the reconcile
dialogue, and check off that week's items from the bank statement. When
the residual is zero, I mark finished, and move forward to the 14th.
(Procedure loops)

By looking at such a small number of transactions it is possible to
find whatever the errors are.
I too have been on Gnucash for a couple of decades, but still found 4
errors in one file this March, payments not entered as received, and
digit transposition.

I hope you find what is happening and let us know.

liz