[GNC] Unusual book need

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Fri Apr 15 12:32:09 EDT 2022

On 4/15/2022 5:00 AM, Jeff wrote:
> I need to move transactions from from one set of books to another one.
>
> I didn't realize while entering transactions in my dads books that
> they should have gone into mine.  My dad opened a bank account that I
> did not know about until I started entering charges that my son made
> with feed stores (debit card).  I had not been informed about the bank
> account that grandpa opened in my sons name, and I am responsible for
> all of his income/debits until he is 21.  And many of these
> transactions affect my income/loss.
>
> Is there an easy way to move those entries from one journal to the
> other or will I have to find all of them and manually delete them from
> one journal and reenter them in mine?  These are separate journal files.

Let's first get greater clarity (a more precise definition) of WHAT you
need to do. THEN we'll worry about how.

I am going to take a crack by stating what I think the situation is and
you correct if wrong.

In your father's books is a bank account that should instead be in your
books. You want ALL the transactions that appear in that bank account to
instead be in your books (including, of course, the bank account
itself). Is THAT a correct description of the problem?

If so, you had best do this NOT by having both sets of books open at the
same time. You can get a report of all the transactions involving this
bank account from your father's set of books and export that so you will
have hard copy in front of you. Then open your books, create the account
for this bank account, and enter the transactions. For the money coming
IN to this account you will perhaps need to add an income account "gifts
from grandpa" (if those were not loans) and whether this ends up under
taxable income or non-taxable will depend on the annual total amount.

BUT ---- you left out details about for whom the feed was bought. Just
because grandpa opened a bank account for your son (and has he been
transferring more money into it) does NOT mean the feed purchased has
anything to do with you. For example, if your son took the truck to the
feed store and bought feed for his grandpa paying for it with his debit
card and grandpa later reimbursed him for it that has nothing to do with
your books.  You would need to report interest income (if any) if taxes
are filed with your son as a dependent << even if "under age" a child
with significant income MIGHT be filed separately. >>

On the other hand, if your son is feeding beasts of his own, even if
reported on your income, you MIGHT want to consider having a set of
books for him even though that complicates matters. The purpose of
accounting in information and how well this junior farmer is doing with
his little venture is part of the learning << I am just guessing, of
course, that this is "farming" >>

Michael D Novack

PS: In spite of the email address I'm not. This land was last
commercially farmed circa 1930 and is now forest and wildlife habitat
(though in our younger days did have a large garden and some livestock

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.