[GNC] New to GnuCash SQLite on Windows: I have questions

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Apr 19 21:20:56 EDT 2022

Hi,

On Tue, April 19, 2022 7:55 pm, Tom Browder wrote:
> I just updated my MS Windows GnuCash version to 4.10 and see the new
> option
> to save my GnuCash xml file in SQLite format. In general, I like it!
>
> However, I had a few moments of panic when Windows wanted to save the file
> without a name change.  I also forgot the changes in the SQLite file are
> done without notice.
> (When I first started withGnuCash on Windows, I was able to unzip the xml
> file and save it unzipped as "myGnuCash.gnucash" successfully so I get
> version control over a text file for readable diffs.)
>
> 1. Is there any way to get GnuCash to save its file, by default, with an
> appropriate suffix other than "gnucash?"

Sure, tell it to do that.  It only adds ".gnucash" by default, but it
won't override what you tell it.

> 2. Is there any hope of some kind of "commit" button to use with the
> SQLite
> version?

The benefit of the SQL backend is that it writes all changes when you
commit (enter) a transaction.  So no, there will not be a "Save" button.
The "commit" button is the "Enter" key (or exiting out of a transaction
edit).

> 3. I assume the binary SQLite file is usable with a binary copy from
> Windows, is that true?

I'm not sure I understand this question, but the SQLite data file is
usable from any platform.

> 4. Is there any Perl program on Windows to convert the xml file to SQLite?
> Is there one on Linux?

No.  Open the XML in GnuCash and then File -> Save As to save it as SQLite.

> My immediate goal is to continue using my xml fille on Windows as the
> master data source until I'm comfortable with the SQLite version. During
> that time, I will periodically produce an SQLite version as a read-only
> one
> to experiment with on Linux.
>
> I would love to do that automatically.

You mean without using File -> Save As?

> I have briefly looked at the (ugh) Python support and may go down that
> route, but not until I've looked at compiling from github on Linux and
> looked at what's available.

Yes, you may be able to use the Python bindings to open the XML file and
SaveAs SQL.  I've never tried it.

> Thanks for any help or suggestions.
>
> -Tom

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745