[GNC] File browser file type filter and bookmarks

James Thorpe James at fusionsystems.co.za
Wed Apr 20 03:06:53 EDT 2022

I have two questions regarding usage of the file browser dialog to open
a gnucash accounts file.

Because I manage my business and personal accounts in separate files I
am often using this functionality to select a different gnucash accounts
file and there are two things that would greatly speed up the process for me

1. The ability to filter on file extension

I find that both on Windows 11 and Linux Mint the browser shows all the
gnucash log files as well (which have similar start names). The actual
account file just ends in ".gnucash". It would be great if there were a
place where a file extension filter could be set to just show the files
with this extension. And, even better, if it could default to .gnucash?

Is this a development request or is there some setting I could change
that would allow this?

2. The ability to see file browser bookmarks on Linux Mint

This may be a rather more OS-specific topic but I use gnucash on Linux
Mint and I've set up bookmarks in the file explorer application that
allow me to quickly navigate to folders on my drive. These are mounted
network shares from my NAS drive. In Windows the mounted network drives
show up in the gnucash file browser but on Linux Mint these bookmarks
don't show up so I have to navigate manually to the mount points via the
file system. If anyone has any tips as to how to make these mounts /
bookmarks show up in the "root" of the file browser window that would
also be of great help.

many thanks

James Thorpe
061 476 2775