[GNC] New to GnuCash SQLite on Windows: I have questions

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Apr 21 07:57:26 EDT 2022

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 07:20:51PM +1000, davidcousens49 at gmail.com wrote:
> Chris,
>
> In around 12 years of using GnuCash on Linux, I could probably count on one hand
> the number of times I have had to type in the full filename and extension or
> even search for the location of GnuCash data files. At least with the ".gnucash"
> extension there is little chance of a clash with another developers use of the
> same 2-3 letter extension. Compared with the datetime stamp on the log and
> backup files its not too much of a problem, just stretch the terminal or file
> manager window out to the right. I am spoiled for screen real estate with 2x27"
> screen side by side which might be a mitigating factor for me.

Quite!  But the suffix still makes filenames much longer than necessary.

I don't "even search for the location of GnuCash data files", but I do
occasionally look at the contents of directories and want to tidy them
up.

If I look in (one of) my Gnucash directories I see:-

    chris at esprimo$ ls
    building2022.gnucash                         general2022.gnucash.-452605816.1384867.LNK
    building2022.gnucash.-452605816.1385351.LNK  general2022.gnucash.-452605816.4124828.LNK
    cheques                                      giftaid

(cheques and giftaid are my own directories)

It really would be much tidier and nicer if those gnucash files had no suffix at
all, it's not necessary, especially in Linux.  Secondly it would be much nicer
if the place wasn't littered wiht those .LNK files.

As an example of the sort of thing I would expect look at this:-

    chris at esprimo$ ls pcc
    Pass_Certificate.pdf           'TR takeaway Jeremiah.pdf'   auditedAc2019.pdf
    SpiritualityOfFundraising.pdf   Whoswho.docx                parishReturn2019.pdf

No long suffixes, obvious names and no backup/log files in the same
directory.

--
Chris Green