[GNC] Why does an Equity account have to be of Currency type?

km22 km22 at gmx.com
Sat Apr 23 05:46:40 EDT 2022

Hi,

I am starting a new Gnucash file for a simple "mock" trust.  The trust
holds physical assets (like stamps and coins and other collectibles).  I
want to represent the contributions to this trust in the form of these
assets.  However, when I try to create new Equity accounts for the
contributions it only allows me to use "Currency" type assets.  I don't
understand why Gnucash would force this limitation.  Why wouldn't a user
be allowed to use any asset type they wish (stocks, bitcoin,
collectables) and not solely the ISO cash types?

A screenshot of the issue is attached.

Thanks,

Ken