[GNC] Why does an Equity account have to be of Currency type?

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Sat Apr 23 16:05:04 EDT 2022

On 2022-04-23 02:46, km22 wrote:

> …I am starting a new Gnucash file for a simple "mock" trust.  The trust
> holds physical assets (like stamps and coins and other collectibles).  I
> want to represent the contributions to this trust in the form of these
> assets.  However, when I try to create new Equity accounts for the
> contributions it only allows me to use "Currency" type assets.…

Your Gnucash usage question leads me to an accounting question. And I am
not an accountant, so my ignorance is likely vast. However…

Why should the accounts which track the physical assets be Equity
accounts?  Why not make them Asset accounts?

And then, David Cousens points out that what you need to track physical
assets is an inventory application, and GnuCash is not an inventory
application. How does that inform your use of GnuCash?