[GNC] Shutdown using the "X" in windows 11

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 19:46:47 EDT 2022

I have found that in one instance of of GnuCash 3.8 in a Ubuntu 21.04
laptop and in another instance of GnuCash 3.8 in a virtualbox instance of
Linux Lite based, I think, on the same release of Ubuntu, that if the
machines are allowed to to develop swap files larger than a few hundred
Megs before rebooting, then GnuCash sometimes fails to clear the lock file
even when it is closed several minutes before rebooting.  I suspect that
newer releases of GnuCash may also fail to close the lock file if there is
a possibility that they are involved with a swap file.  Further, it would
be easy to conclude that somehow this is interpreted either accurately or
erroneously as depending on whether the program is closed by clicking on
the "X" icon or using Alt-F, Q or Ctrl-Q.  I also believe that if there
happens to be a pending edit left open, it is very easy to overlook the
warning in the rush to close GnuCash.  That can also prevent clearing the
lock file.

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 6:19 PM Gyle McCollam <gmccollam at live.com> wrote:

> Using Windows 11 and GnuCash 4.10
>
> Also had this issue in an older version.  Clicked on the "X" to shut down
> and had not saved first.  In the dialogue I clicked on Cancel, but it still
> shutdown.  I expected "Cancel" to cancel the operation (shutdown), am I
> wrong.  What operation is it canceling?  All 3 options have the same
> result,  They all close the program without saving and upon restart, I got
> the message that "GnuCash could not obtain the lock for
> C:\Users\*****\OneDrive\Documents\GNUCash\**.gnucash." (see pic 2)  "***"
> for my specific system names.
>
> [cid:5ce6c5d0-06c4-4be7-88c9-51e0ab733c10]
>
> [cid:5082774d-7534-4039-ace7-d5b0d8aa2efa]
>
> I will try to remember to "Save" first, however when I do forget it is
> frustrating that this built in safeguard doesn't work.
>

> Thank You,
> Gyle McCollam
>
> Gyle McCollam
>
> 609.680.2326                     Mobile