[GNC] Why does an Equity account have to be of Currency type?

km22 km22 at gmx.com
Tue Apr 26 10:35:09 EDT 2022

Hi Michael,

I agree - I could change the definition of $ for the purposes of the Robinson Crusoe case.  But let me ask the question a different way:

It seems that when trying to create an account of type Asset, Bank, Cash, Credit Card, Liability, A/Receivable, A/Payable, Equity selecting the denominated "Security/currency" only allows the user to select a Currency Type.
For account types Stock and Mutual Fund the "Security/currency" is only allowed to be of a Non-Currency Type.

Why is that restriction necessary?  Why can't you have a Bank account that is denominated in silver taels*?  Or a cash account denominated in "Disney Dollars"?  Or contribute Equity to a business in the form of yards of lumber?

Perhaps the answer is to simply use a "Stock" account type for my asset examples?  But there is no workaround for the equity example.  And it seems like an artificial limitation within the software - unless I am missing the reason this should not be permitted (either from an software implementation or accounting perspective).

Thanks,
Ken

* Yes, I could use this ISO currency XAG but that price typically refers to troy ounces and it might be that I want to mark the bid price of a silver savings account at a premium or discount to the XAG price.

P.S. For some reason I am not receiving replies direct to my email so I am copying and pasting from the GnuCash archive below.