[GNC] How to manage multiple accounts (as in separate gnucash??? databases)?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Apr 26 15:10:30 EDT 2022

At Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:44:57 -0700 Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com wrote:

> On 4/26/22 11:33, Robert Heller wrote:

> >> Yes, it seems a bit drastic though! :-)
> >>
> >> It's actually /home/chris/.local/share/gnucash/books (or, strictly,
> >> some system variable specifies the directory I believe).
> > Probably depends on the version.  I'm still using 2.6.19-1 on my Ubuntu 18.04
> > system.
> >
> > Even opening GnuCash from a menu or icon (rather than the command
> > line) I'd really prefer that it didn't default to the last set of
> > accounts opened.
> > Yeah, that is unfortunate.  And really unfriendly.
> >

> I happen to really like that it opens the last set of books.  Yes, I
> have three (3) separate sets of books with each in a different folder
> (directory).
>
> And having the list of recent opened files makes it really handy to
> switch between the three sets as desired.

I have no objection to the recent opened files. But applications that
automagically opening the last opened can be obnoxious and awkward for some
workflows.  There should be preferences settings for that -- eg what is in the
recent opened files list and what to do when opened without a filename on the
command line (open nothing, open last, something else, etc.).

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364