[GNC] How to manage multiple accounts (as in separate gnucash databases)?

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Tue Apr 26 17:11:29 EDT 2022

On 2022-04-26 13:49, davidcousens49 at gmail.com wrote:
> Unfortunately GnuCash doesn't work that way AFAIK. Depending on your OS you may
> be able to create separate launchers in the Desktop menufor each specific file
> and name them accordingly. I know this will work on Linux Mint and likely Ubuntu
> variants but not sure on other OS.

That's a yes for Windows 7, 8.1, and 1 with GC 2.6.x. I've seen other
people post here that it also works in Windows with later GC versions.

> The command issued by the launcher is
> "gnucash %f". If you change the "%f" to a specific path/filename it will open
> that specific file or at least it did several years ago when I used to work on
> multiple files.
> Then you just choose the launcher for the file you want to work on. If you are a
> terminal user you could create separate  aliases for the commands with different
> filenames.

Or ... set up a menu in a script or batch file (whatever your OS calls
it). Then instead of having one shortcut for each set of books, you'll
have one that you can launch to be presented with all choices.

--
Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA