[GNC] Account setup for reports

Fred J. Tydeman tydeman at tybor.com
Wed Apr 27 10:29:37 EDT 2022

[Sorry for the bad posts, but I was having issues with the other email program]

I would like to produce reports that show:
  money spent on meals, hotels, ...
  money spend on various trips

In Quicken, the transactions were coded as:
  Expense:meals/home
  Expense:meals/20210112
  Expense:hotel/20210112
  Expense:meals/20210215
  Expense:hotel/20210215
using both Categories (what) and Classes (which trip, if any).
I understand the Classes are not currently supported in gnucash.

In gnucash, I can see two ways to do the setup:
  Expense:meals:home
  Expense:meals:20210112
  Expense:hotel:20210112
  Expense:meals:20210215
  Expense:hotel:20210215
Or
  Expense:home:meals
  Expense:20210112:meals
  Expense:20210112:hotel
  Expense:20210215:meals
  Expense:20210215:hotel
But, there might be a better way.  Suggestions?

If I do either of those two setups, will I be
able to produce all the reports I want?

---
Fred J. Tydeman        Tydeman Consulting
tydeman at tybor.com      Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (702) 608-6093      Vice-chair of PL22.11 (ANSI "C")
Sample C99+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.