[GNC] Find

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Aug 1 12:23:25 EDT 2022

Alan,

Edit > Find Account shows a list of accounts and lets you search the
list by name.

Edit > Find — returns a list of transactions in 'register' format
matching your search criteria. The dialog title says so — "Find
Transaction". (maybe the menu entry should be changed to reflect this?)

I offered the Edit > Find route as a workaround to find the account via
finding its transactions.

You replied that it doesn't provide a list of accounts, which it isn't
supposed to and that is what John was pointing out.

If you can't find transactions that belong to the account, and you can't
find the account by expanding the account tree fully and simply typing
as Stan noted, or visually searching the tree, then it isn't a bug that
Find Account doesn't find it, as it isn't there.

But if both of those methods *do* show the account, then the other
triage point is to copy/paste the account name from the Edit Account
dialog into the Find Account search field.

If that works, then you've got one or more of three issues:

1. An extra hard-to-see space in the name that you aren't typing when
searching, but which does copy over. (likely a leading or separating space)

2. A visually similar character but one which has a different Unicode
point than what is generated by normal typing. (not particularly likely,
but this could be the case if you copy-pasted the name from somewhere
else, like the web.)

3. A misspelling, either when originally creating the account, or when
you search.

If it *still* doesn't work, you most likely found a bug.

Regards,
Adrien