[GNC] Stumped on Mortgage Asst - Screenshots

Stephen M. Butler Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 14:54:16 EDT 2022

On 8/3/22 05:37, steve.schwandt at fastmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the background folks. I appreciate the effort and will do
> the manual creation.
>
> However, I'm hardheaded enough that I want get the transaction to work
> within tolerances with a minimum of monthly intervention such as
> editing or reading bank statements. I have to go on record that P&I
> for July 2022 and May 2035 is more than simply fractions of pennies
> from various calculation assumptions. I don't need that sort of
> precision in tracking trends in my personal Net Worth reports.
>
> Is there a man page of sorts for the various functions, pmt, ipmt,
> ppmt?  I'm sure one of the trailing zeros refers to whether payments
> are due at the beginning or end of the period, but can't imagine what
> the other may be. Meanwhile, I'll continue experimentation on my dummy
> data. Like I said, hardheaded.
>
> Steve

I found the details buried in the code.  Look in these two source code
files:
./libgnucash/app-utils/calculation/fin.c
./libgnucash/app-utils/fin.scm

The '.' for me is at /home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash

where 'gnucash' is my copy of the git repository.

> On 8/2/22 10:17, David Carlson wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>> I am not going to open your zip file, I imagine it is just
>> documenting the
>> fact that the P & I calculations don't exactly match your lenders'
>> statements, which is a known issue, unfixable since they all have
>> their own
>> way of calculating it.  At least that was the case years ago when I last
>> set one up.  Many of us, like Will, just accept the numbers as estimates
>> and correct them when we get the statements.
>>
>> There has been some discussion in the history here about how to
>> massage the
>> equations when we want to 'start in the middle' for an existing loan,
>> for
>> example, but I am not sure how to find those.
I have done that to start a year in and to include extra $ for
principle.  It is best to use LibreOffice Calc (Or Excel) to calculate
the monthly payment and number of months needed to fit your situation.
It has been several months and one of my loans is spot on each month.
The other one -- well, I'm wondering what the bank is smoking as it
flops around by a significant amount each month.  I suspect they are on
a daily interest amount and since the number of days between payments
varies (US mail, # of days in month, pay early/late by a day or so) they
come up with numbers that make my head spin.

So, as some have suggested, I just wait for the statement to come out
and then I adjust the posted transaction.  at least the payment amount
totals the same each month!

Here is the setup for my recent mortgage:

The 1326.35 is my total monthly payment.
.02990 is my annual interest factor.
i is the internal counter for the month of the loan.  GnuCash controls
that number
360 is the total number of payments.
315,000.00 is the original loan amount.

Here is the one for my 5th wheel where some interest was prepaid up
front and they delayed the first payment so I'm adjusting the month
counter by -2 to get the numbers to be close enough.  This is also the
one where I suspect they use a daily interest amount rather than
standard calculation as the numbers bounce around each month.

I have cc'd you direct just in case these two images being pasted
directly in don't make it via the list.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com