[GNC] Backup files in another folder ? solution for Windows

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 18:17:59 EDT 2022

Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 00:47:05 +0200
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> Subject: [GNC] Backup files in another folder ? solution for Windows
>
> Hi,    I'm new to GnuCash but, yep, I was disappointed by the multiple backup and log files cluttering the directory where the main budget file is stored. I've searched and found out nobody even made a workaround. So I wrote a Powershell (Windows) script watching folder for new files and moving them to another folder. Take a look at ?  github.com https://github.com/Kaligula0/FolderWatcher ?.  The file has an explanation but feel free to comment here or file a bug there.    Best regards, Char

Hi Char,

In my humble opinion, If you put each GnuCash book in its own directory, and set the GnuCash preferences to automatically remove older backups and logs, there is no need to move them.
BTW, you may be interested in my utility for encrypting and compressing most of the files you need to backup a GnuCash book to an off site cloud storage folder (I.e. Dropbox, OneDrive, Google drive or iCloud) called BackupGnuCash:

See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Published_tools.

You do have to be reasonably computer proficient to install my utility.

Also there is a lot of backup info in https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup

Regards, Chris Good