[GNC] Third party OFX/CVS providers

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 22:25:44 EDT 2022

From: Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, 7 August 2022 12:37 AM
To: Chris Good <goodchris96 at gmail.com>
Cc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] Third party OFX/CVS providers

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 08:51 Chris Good <goodchris96 at gmail.com <mailto:goodchris96 at gmail.com> > wrote:

..,

Can you copy the text out of the pdf statement?

Getting "organized" text programmatically out of PDF is a giant pain. My current approach is almost completely programmatic. BTW, Raku is the "sister" language of Perl, and it is a "scripting" language.

Raku can also use Perl modules so I can use Finance::Quote with it if need be. But, until I can get the bank data working, I won't be needing it.

Thanks, Chris.

-Tom

Hi Tom,

I was actually suggesting you just highlight the transactions in the pdf statement and copy/paste them into a

spreadsheet or text file before using a scripting language to reformat them but if you can programmatically

extract the text that would be better long term.

I notice with my PDF statement that (free) Adobe Acrobat DC no longer allows me to select text (as they want me to pay for a fancy tool - BOO) but if you send the pdf to Edge or Chrome you can select just the transaction text.

Thanks for the info re Raku.

Finance::Quote is just for getting stock prices from websites (usually) so not useful for this task.

Are you sure you cannot export transactions from your bank? All mine do although sometimes it is hard to find.

Regards,

Chris Good