[GNC] Backup files in another folder - solution for Windows

Char_GNC flying at 10g.pl
Tue Aug 9 07:16:18 EDT 2022

Thanks for replies.   1) My approach was to leave the GNC backup process as is and handle the files only (moving them out of the base dir).   2) I have many other files also in a folder where my budget database file resists, so I wanted to move backups instantly.   3) I also wanted not to create custom shortcuts which can break (if you move your database file) and you have to remember to open GNC with the shortcut only.   So the idea is to set this up once and forget – which means later "open/use GNC as you like, let the system run the task *automagically* whenever GNC is started (and end the task whenever it is closed/killed) and move the backup files *automagically* to keep the folder clean" (there are instructions inside the script) :)  Regards,  Char 5.08.2022 17:12 Jack Lockard <  JELockard at outlook.com >:  You can also use a batch file to accomplish the task of moving the backup and log files. I have a batch file named "Start GNUcash.bat" that contains the following:   @ECHO OFF  ECHO Starting GNUcash  START "Starting GNUcash" /WAIT "C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin\gnucash.exe"  ECHO GNUcash closed  MOVE "C:\data file location\*.gnucash.*.gnucash" "C:\Backup file location"  MOVE "C:\data file location\*.log" "C:\Backup file location"  PAUSE  @ECHO ON  EXIT   The START command starts GNUcash and waits for it to close. Once it closes, it moves the backup and log files to the backup folder.  Obviously you would need to change the data file and backup file locations to suit your system. The file location spec does not need to be enclosed in quotes if there is no "White Space" in the file spec. Note that you cannot simply use "*.gnucash" for the backup file as that would move the main data file as well, so it must be "*.gnucash.*.gnucash".   Jack    -----Original Message-----  From: gnucash-user <gnucash-user-bounces+jelockard=outlook.com at gnucash.org> On Behalf Of Glenn Fowler   Thank you for sharing.  I do my backups with PS as well but just do a once daily run and check the file hash for changes. If it's changed then copy.   On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 6:47 PM GNC mailinglist <flying at 10g.pl> wrote:   Hi,    I'm new to GnuCash but, yep, I was disappointed by the multiple  backup and log files cluttering the directory where the main budget  file is stored. I've searched and found out nobody even made a  workaround. So I wrote a Powershell (Windows) script watching folder  for new files and moving them to another folder. Take a look at →    github.com  nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com https://github.com/Kaligula0/FolderWatcher   .  The file has an  explanation but feel free to comment here or file a bug there.    Best  regards, Char