[GNC] Order of accounts, auto numbering transactions.

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue Aug 9 08:56:52 EDT 2022

> First two questions below.
>
> How do I set up my accounts in an order that I prefer rather than alphabetical?

You have received one answer for this (using account numbers). Account
numbering is rather common in accounting, but can involve significant
work when/if major changes to the CoA happen. An alternative is to have
human meaningless prefixes to account names to control the collating
sequence. Unlike account numbers these can be used JUST where needed. It
is not unusual to consider the ordering OK for most of the CoA but you
want something different in one or two places.

In other words, the order is "Bank of America" above "Springfield
Savings Bank" and you want that reversed (but everything else is OK.
Instead of applying numbering to all of your accounts, you could just
rename those two "b-Bank of America" and "a-Springfield Savings Bank"

> How do I turn on auto numbering of transactions?

What do you mean by THIS? In normal bookkeeping the order in which
transactions are entered into the books is unrelated to the order in
which they are meant to appear in the books. Order of entry would only
apply to those cases where "the same" with regard to any of the things
(like date, check number, etc.) that are used to order transactions in
the books. Bookkeeping is not a "real time" process.

Michael D Novack