[GNC] Tax Accounting for Trust Income Received in Following Fiscal Year

Chris Grinton cgrinton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 21:49:57 EDT 2022

Hi flywire,

A couple of comments before I get into the meat of my response:

   - What you're asking about here is somewhat specific to Australia, and
   the details may not be applicable to other jurisdictions.
   - I'm not an accountant, so I'm not sure how an accountant would respond
   to this. But it works for me!

So with that said, here are accounts I use to track Australian trust
distributions:
[image: image.png]
Here's an illustrative journal entry that represents the details from the
AMIT statement for the VAS ETF attached to your email:
[image: image.png]

Here's a transaction on the date you become entitled to receive a
distribution (for example - this is would be recorded on 30 June for the
final VAS distribution for the year):
[image: image.png]

And here's a transaction representing the actual payment of the
distribution (on the date the payment is made):
[image: image.png]

If anybody has a different way of modelling Australian trust distributions,
I'd love to see other examples!

Chris