[GNC] Crash in Trial Balance report

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 18:56:42 EDT 2022

I can't see the screenshot from here, but what John is suggesting is that
GnuCash uses (or may use) a price of $0 in some transactions in that report
when it computes the average cost.  That could lead to a divide-by-zero
error which can cause a crash.  He goes on to hint at a way to find the
error if that indeed is the problem.

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 4:17 PM Fred Tydeman <tydeman.fred at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not understand what you mean by "numbers in the list"
> I have many securities that have zero balance (due to being sold).
> I looked at /tmp/guncash.trace and what I see there mostly matched the
> Report Error in the Trial Balance display.
>
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 1:44 PM john <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

> > > On Aug 13, 2022, at 6:12 AM, Fred Tydeman <tydeman.fred at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I am running Linux and GnuCash 4.11
> > > When I try to do a Trial Balance report, I get a crash.
> > > Screenshot attached.
> > > I assume it is due to bad data somewhere,
> > > but I have no idea where or what it is.
> > > <Screenshot from 2022-08-13
> >
> > The failure is in computing the average cost of some security and I think
> > it's hitting a failed conversion, maybe a divide-by-zero. You should be
> > able to figure out which security by comparing the numbers in the list
> with
> > the values of the first transactions in the security's register. Hope you
> > don't have too many securities to examine.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls

David Carlson