[GNC] Why does the sample "investments" account tree have intermediate "Bond", "Mutual Fund", and "Stock" accounts?

devaps at asia.com devaps at asia.com
Sun Aug 14 02:02:45 EDT 2022

Jim,

The default account hierarchy that’s provided when you choose investment accounts is just that. You can choose to have it per your tracking requirements.

Like you, my parent brokerage account is a placeholder and I have a $Cash account under that which acts as a staging account for buys and sells. The default hierarchy is giving you all possible types of investments one usually has in a brokerage account. So my modified hierarchy looks like this -

Assets
..Investments
….Brokerage account
…..Stock
…...$Cash
…….ISIN 1
…….ISIN 2  and so on
….Mutual Fund
……Fund 1
……Fund 2 and so on

ETFs are technically mutual funds, but since they trade like stocks, I track them under stocks instead of mutual funds. From what I can tell, there’s no difference between account type stock and mutual fund. Perhaps they exist as two separate types to allow for different treatment in the future, if need arises.

If you have bonds as well as stocks in your brokerage account, then you can move $Cash under brokerage account.

I don’t invest in mutual funds through my brokerage account. I keep that just for stocks and ETFs. My mutual fund investments are done directly with the fund companies, so the structure I have makes the selection of accounts in report options easier. I can just select the parent placeholder Mutual Fund and say select all children to run a report on just mutual funds.

So yes, there’s no harm in having AMZN directly under brokerage and use a $Cash account for staging purposes. I also don’t like to include transactions in parent accounts, so they are all placeholders for me like you described. This works well for me.

Cheers,
Deva