[GNC] How to bulk import about 130 Securities entries?

list+gnucash at jdlh.com list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Tue Aug 16 17:20:51 EDT 2022

Chris:

On 2022-08-16 02:36, Chris Good wrote:
> …There is code in the ofx import to handle creating securities which
> is done before an investment transaction if the security (commodity)
> does not exist and Preference, Import, "Automatically create new
> commodities" is ticked.
> I have never used it but maybe some-one else can supply an example ofx
> file.

Thank you for pointing out this preferences option, and this OFX import
code.  I was not aware of either.

I just checked with a test book. With Preferences -- Import --
"Automatically create new commodities" checked, I performed an input of
an Accounts CSV file which referred to a novel security. The CSV
importer rejected it with an error message about the missing commodity.

CSV import is not the same as OFX import, of course. I don't have the
information to quickly create an OFX test case.

And I have not tried CSV import of a transaction. It might be that
transaction import has some code to create new commodities which account
import is lacking.