[GNC] How to bulk import about 130 Securities entries?

list+gnucash at jdlh.com list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Tue Aug 16 23:18:40 EDT 2022

On 2022-08-16 19:54, john wrote:

> OTOH I'm pretty sure that gnc_commodity is fully exposed to the Python bindings so you should
> be able to write a python script using them to do the same thing without voiding your warranty
> or needing to unzip the file or, for that matter, caring which backend is used.

Ah! Thank you for this nudge, John. I like using Python. Doing my import
via Python would likely be very comfortable for me.

This question may end up leading me to learn not just how to automate my
mac UI, but also how to use the Python bindings in GnuCash.

I have been using the macOS GnuCash app downloaded via GnuCash.org,
which I understand does not include Python bindings. However, I use
MacPorts all the time, and it looks like MacPorts will be happy to
provide me GnuCash with the Python bindings enabled.

I appreciate the pointer. (Well, not pointer exactly, because it is
Python after all, but… reference?)

      —Jim DeLaHunt