[GNC] Confusing and inconsistent headers in transaction entry and report forms

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Aug 17 01:46:13 EDT 2022

Peter,

I think the problem stems from your choice of report options.

Namely, by default, 'Account Name' under the Display tab is *not*
selected, while the 'other account' is.

This is because by default the Sort options are:

Primary: account
Secondary: register order

So by default, the transactions for each chosen account are grouped
together, and then those are listed by date. Subtotals are for the
account. Since the primary sorting key is the account, it is shown like
in my screenshot on 8/3 circled in yellow. (and also what you indicated
in your 'I wish it has said' example.) Thus, there is no need to check
off the option to show 'Account Name' in the Display tab as that would
be superfluous.

But,

Changing the primary sort to Date (or other similar option) now sets
that grouping label to an accounting period rather than the account
name. The account name is no longer visible, but you can of course, turn
it on in the Display tab.

I've managed to craft a report similar to the desired (3rd) example you
gave and have attached it.

I've also attached the Options used to achieve it.

It might not be the only or best way to see the info, but it closely
matches what you indicated you were looking for. Note, I only selected
the Checking account, there is little need by your example to select
both it and the Income account as those splits will be represented
already since the other important preference change was switching the
Detail Level to 'One Split Per Line' in the Display tab. You can of
course turn on other info labels in Display, but I turned them off to
match your example.

Note, the attached example uses Date, rather than the default Account
Name, as the primary sort key.

Regards,
Adrien