[GNC] Is GnuCash right for me?

Dave Mueller AA3EE dave at ditdit.us
Sat Aug 20 10:32:03 EDT 2022

HI Everyone,
Sorry for the totally noob uneducated question. I'm an engineer by
training, not an accountant!
I recently started a home business and everyone said "Quickbooks". It's
too expensive and I despise subscription software. Online/cloud options
are not an option, we have limited (and expensive) internet where we
live.

The business is repairing custom electronic equipment.
What I want/need:
Basic money tracking for the checking account.
Keep track of equipment based on serial number (I was thinking a
database). Here I will keep a record of owner(s), data like software
versions, and work done per RMA.
RMA tracking (another database?). Ability to generate RMA numbers or use
one supplied by the distributor.
Invoicing based on what was done on an RMA (labor, parts and state tax
if applicable).
Simple payroll (I'm the only employee).
Light duty inventory control. I have about 30 items, some are almost too
cheap to track, a few items are expensive, some of those are supplied by
the manufacturer so I need to settle with them at the end of the month.

My wife wants to run the entire business from Excel, and in one
spreadsheet I think? Databases seem more proper to me :-)

Thanks and enjoy the weekend.

Dave

--
Dit Dit Electronics