[GNC] Accounting Equation Mismatch for Foreign Currency/Security

Gao Bite redfrog2000 at outlook.com
Fri Aug 26 00:31:25 EDT 2022

Gnucash Developers and Maintainers:

Hello! When I'm processing transactions about foreign currency/
securities that are not the base currency, I have found a non-negligible
issue:  the accounting equation becomes unequal when I change the price
in the built-in editor. Here are the details of the problem:

I live in China and use CNY as the base currency, and I hold some of my
assets in USD. Suppose that the exchange rate of USD/CNY is 6.5:1 on
Sept 1st, and it has changed to 6.75:1 on Sept 30th. I hold $500 in USD
and record it in GnuCash. However, with the new price entered into the
built-in editor, the total amount of assets would be greater than the
sum of liabilities and equity by ¥175 in CNY. Also, I cannot make a
single-split transaction to record the price fluctuation since there is
no debit account to match that credit account.

One supposed solution you gave me would be using the trading account.
However, since trading account could not sum up the exchange profit &
loss in a single time, it would be useless to me.

I sincely thank you for sparing your precious time to this problem.

Yours,

Bite Gao

Aug 26th, 2022