[GNC] Can someone tell me how A-L=Eq+(I-Ex) is correct?

David Cousens davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 19:34:58 EDT 2022

Stan

To be a little bit pedantic, most accounting textbooks will give the accounting
equation
as
Assets = Liabilities + Equity
and the extended equation for temporary accounts
as
Assets= liabilities + Equity + (Income -Expenses).

The reason for putting it in this form is that the accounts on the LHS  have
debit balances (debits increase the balance and credits decrease the balance)
and the accounts on the RHS  have credit balances (credits increase the account
balanc and debits decrease the balance with the exception of the expense
accounts just to recomplicate things). Why they don't make it completely
symmetric as
Assets + Expenses = Liabilities + Equity + Income
which would make far more sense given the reason usually supplied is another of
those mysteries of life and accounting.

David Cousens