[GNC] Can I add to Equity?

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Fri Dec 2 10:21:55 EST 2022

I'm not at all sure what you are asking us (will have to guess)

You asked your accountant and got the answer from him or her. So that's
where it goes. Essentially you are telling us that by convention, books
of a business entity in the UK start with an equity balance of 1, not
zero. The latter is normal for double entry bookkeeping.

So my GUESS is you are asking us, what should be the other side of the
transaction that enters this amount? << again, this is not really a
gnucash question since would be the same question no matter how the
books were kept >>

Personally, I'd probably use Imbalance as the most logical. After all,
you are in effect telling us that by convention, books for a business
entity in the UK start out out of balance by 1.

Michael D Novack

On 12/2/2022 8:46 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> Hi,
> When a company is set up in the UK, if by just one person, they get a share
> which has a nominal value of £1.
>
> I'm trying to put my accounts starting this financial year into GnuCash. I
> was not sure where this £1 should go - if anywhere. So I asked my
> accountant. See below my question in bold, and his answer in red.
>
> * "4) Where should the initial nominal £1 share when the company is set up
> be recorded?  Should that show as £1 equity in the company as an opening
> balance, or is it ignored in accounts submitted after the first submission?
> *
>
> *The opening £1 share is shown and brought forward share capital in the
> accounts under the ‘capital and reserves’ section."*
>
> I assumed this meant I added £1 to the Equity, so I created an account
>
> Equity -> Capital and Reserves -> Share Capital
>
> with the intention of adding the £1 share there as an opening balance. But
> it is not possible to edit the opening balance of that account.
>
> I assume it's me, as the director, that owns that £1 share. I guess, since
> it's only a very small amount, I can ignore it, but it would be nice to
> know where it should go.
>
> Any thoughts on where this should go?
>
> Dr David Kirkby Ph.D
> Email: drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk Web:
> https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
> Kirkby Microwave Ltd (Tel 01621-680100 / +44 1621-680100)
> Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT.

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.