[GNC] Stock spinoff

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Dec 4 12:01:32 EST 2022

Companies used to send shareholders a letter stating the relative valuations of the spun off and original shares, but the last couple of spinoffs I've had they instead posted it on the original company's website and I had to Google for it. In some cases you might have to find the SEC filing for the spinoff to get the ratio. You then apply that ratio to the basis of each lot of the original stock that you own. It can be pretty tedious to create all of the splits required to reflect the basis in GnuCash. I often do it in a spreadsheet and make a docllink to that on the spinoff transaction instead.

Regards,
John Ralls