[GNC] Missing transactions

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Dec 7 13:27:21 EST 2022

Hi,

On Wed, December 7, 2022 1:20 pm, Sebastian Aguilar wrote:
> For some reason, when I opened GnuCash today, 3 years of transactions were
> missing. I went to recent backup files but when I open them, they are also
> not showing the missing data.
> What could be happening?
> I am using Version: 4.8. - Build ID: 4.8a+(2021-09-28) on a 2016 MacBook
> Pro with macOS Monterey version 12.6
> Thanks for any help!
> S.A.

How do you normally open GnuCash?
Keep in mind that on the Mac, GnuCash will *ALWAYS* open the most recent
file you had open the last time you used GnuCash.  If you double-click on
a file, it WILL NOT open that file (unless it happens to be the last file
you used).
What this means is that the /ONLY/ way to change file on a Mac is via File
-> Open.
My guess is that you double-clicked on File A, and entered data thinking
it was file A, but really it was file B -- and therefore you data is in
File B.

The best way to figure this out is to look at your files and look at the
last-modified times of all of them, to figure out which one(s) may have
your data.

It is unlikely your data is gone, but it IS likely that it might be spread
across multiple files, or not in the file you think it is in.

Good Luck,

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745