[GNC] Different row height in Accounts tab when security symbol is long

Guille Lopez willelopz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 11:36:55 EST 2022

Hello everyone,

I have noticed (well, I've noticing this for a while, but I did not
investigate until now) that some of the rows in my Account tab have ~2x
the height of the others. These account have in common that they are
Mutual Funds/Stocks.
After some investigation, this seems to be related to the length of the
Display Symbol. For the accounts for which this happens, the Display
Symbol is 3+ characters. I does not happen to all the Accounts with 3
characters. The behavior that I have noted is:
- It does happen systematically for with symbols of 4+ characters.
- It happens with some of the symbols with 3 letters (my guess depending
on the width of the characters used).
- It does not happen for 2 or less characters symbols.
- It seems to depend on the  theme since there was a different behavior
for the 3 character symbol accounts. (I've tried in Linux with 2
different GTK themes).
- As it would be expected based on the previous points, changing the
symbol to lowercase minimizes the issues.

So my speculative guess is that this could be a bug related to line
length calculation, but I wanted to check with the mail-list before
opening a bug. (I looked for similar bugs but I did not find). Has
anybody observed this before?

Info on my setup:

- Debian 12/Testing
- GnuCash 4.12 (4.12+(2022-09-24) from Debian repo.
- KDE Desktop with Breeze theme (also tested with default GTK theme).

Attached a couple of screenshots.

Many Thanks!

Guille