[GNC] Buying with PayPal - how do I split the transaction?

David Cousens davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 19:01:18 EST 2022

David

I treat my Paypal account as a Liability account, just as you would treat
purchases with a credit card. Mine is linked to a bank account from which funds
are automatically transferred to keep the balance in the PayPal account at 0. (
I no longer accept payments through it and only use it for purchases). I also
don't use the business features anymore.

To use the business features, so you have the vendor record, I would have a
separate PayPal Liability account. On purchase record the bill to  credit
Accounts payable and debit the appropriate expense account as normal. To record
PayPal paying the vendor, debit the Accounts Payable and credit the Paypal
Liability, essential make a payment from the Paypal Liability account.  I don't
know if the account checking on the business features payment process will
prevent this or not.

Then to record the transfer of funds from your bank account to Paypal credit the
bank account and debit the Paypal liability account.

David Cousens