[GNC] Unable to download on new computer

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Dec 12 10:18:31 EST 2022

On Monday, 12 December 2022 15:03:08 GMT Orith wrote:
> 1. downloaded . 2. setup. 3. agreed to have the unknown program change my
> computer stuff (cannot recall the exact wording) 4. english as language for
> setup 5. install in C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash even though the link was
> there already 6. agreed to translation files and account template files 7.
> set up created a shortcut 8. desktop icon and menu link - ok 9. install 10.
> extracting files 11. setup 12. finish.
> 13. opened the icon on desktop. see infront of me
> Unsaved Book - GnuCash
> Save - no color nothing to click on                    Close - black with
> an X on the top
> that's it!
>
> clicked on : file - not open and no menu to open.
> tried:  Ctrl-O - desktop list is open, gnucash is not there at all.
>
> I wrote back as specific as I could all my steps. It still not working.
> Don't mean to upset anyone, I have no idea what's going on. Help will be
> appreciated
> Thank you
> OrithC

Orith,

You won't upset anyone on the list if you supply info like that,  It is
exactly what is needed to help you.

But please do send all replies to the list, not to individuals.  I've never
used GnuCash on Windows so am of limited help to you on the specifics to do
with the Windows environment; other users will be able to chime in and say if
the steps you've listed are all "as expected" or not.

Have you done as Derek suggested yesterday and copied your data file from your
old computer to the new?

File -> Open (or Ctrl-O) should let you get your "GC data" back open and
working within the "GC program", once you have put the relevant file onto your
new computer...

You *may* be slightly confused because GC normally automatically re-opens the
last data file that it was working on, so it is not always obvious that you
actually have a data file...but you do!  GC actually works (Conceptually) like
a word processor in that it can have multiple data files stored on disk and
open any one of them.

Think of the letter you wrote last week or the novel you are working on (for
example).  If you have not copied those datafiles to the new computer, you
won't be able to open them to carry on working with the contents, no matter if
you have installed a word processor program or not.....

Installing the program will not magically move the datafile for you!

HTH,
Maf.