[GNC] Reconciling credit card

Liz Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Mon Dec 12 16:19:00 EST 2022

On Mon, 12 Dec 2022 15:44:49 +0000
Mahon Finbar <mahon.finbar at neuf.fr> wrote:

> Another possibility?
>
> In March 2021 I was reimbursed 1,340.98 by an airline for a trip to
> Japan which was cancelled due to Covid.
>
> In error I entered the reimbursement against my credit card, although
> I had paid it from my bank.
>
> That would account for the 'credit' on the credit card?
>
> However, the original spend was allocated to 'expenses' > travel.
> When I try to rectify it as a rebate on the expenses a/c the column
> option is 'rebate' but it appears twice, as an expense and a rebate
> and the expenses a/c does not reflect the reduction in the outgoings?
>
> Why?
>
> Finbar

Finbar
I am loath to add more advice, because I'm not sure where you are in
solving this.
Let's just imagine that you have just found the error, that the
reimbursement is in the wrong account in your books. Maybe you
found it when the bank account reconciliation was incorrect.
At this point
Did you add the transaction to the bank account in Gnucash?

Go to your Expenses:Travel account. Is that reimbursement recorded once
or twice there?
You would expect to have one entry, linked to the bank account. It
should decrease your expenses.
If you have two entries, delete the one linked to the credit card.
If you have one entry, and it is linked to the credit card, edit it to
be linked to the bank account. Of course, any of us would have already
noticed an extra thousand dollars in a bank account and tried to find
the reason. ;)

Liz