[GNC] Can someone confirm if this split transaction is correct?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Mon Dec 12 16:53:48 EST 2022

On Mon, 12 Dec 2022 at 20:49, Michael or Penny Novack <
stepbystepfarm at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 12/12/2022 8:21 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>
> > Given a simple transaction has two splits, how many should this have?
> >
> We aren't going to be able to help much while fundamental concepts are
> misunderstood because that would affect the meaning of terms.
>
> a) In double entry bookkeeping the SIMPLEST form of transaction affects
> TWO accounts, one for the debit side and one for the credit side. We do
> NOT call such a transaction a "split".

My terminology does not seem to differ much from the link below. I have
solved my problem now - I have 3 splits, 3 accounts, and it all seems to be
okay.

https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=4&lang=C&doc=guide
2.9.3. Simple vs. Split Transactions

Every transaction in *GnuCash* has at least two splits, but a transaction
can have more than two splits. A transaction with only two splits is called
a *simple transaction*, since it only involves the current account and a
single remote account. A transaction with three or more accounts is called
a *split transaction*.
Dave