[GNC] Reconciling credit card

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Dec 13 13:16:45 EST 2022

I'll second Michael's take on the labels.

This thread is a good example of why they aren't so 'friendly'. Sure
I'll bet lots of folks use them with no issues, but when something out
of the ordinary happens, 'Debit/Credit' (Dr. & Cr. for short) is much
more sane and helpful.

At least while you are sorting this out, maybe switch the preference.
Also, turn on View > Transaction Journal for the affected accounts. (so
you can easily see all splits at once) You can always switch back later
once you've got it sorted if you prefer the default labels and view. If
you keep the labels as the default, just remember 'Debit' is always on
the left, and 'Credit' is always on the right. Translate that to
whatever labels the registers show. (that is, forget the labels, and
think left/right columns)

Now, to the transactions...

Your initial expense should have been something like:

Dr. Expenses:Travel
   Cr. Assets:Bank

This shows you paying for the ticket from your bank account. The Travel
account increases, and the Bank account decreases.

The refund at a later date should resemble:

Dr. Assets:Bank
   Cr. Expenses:Travel

This reflects the refund back to your bank, and a corresponding
reduction of travel expenses. The Travel account decreases, and the Bank
account increases.

This is essentially a 'reversing' transaction. (which you could enter
manually, or via Transaction > Add reversing transaction, with the
original expense transaction selected)

The end result is two transactions on two dates that net both accounts
to zero change. (they are equal and opposite)

As Liz noted, edit your existing transactions to reflect the above, and
if there are still any additional transactions that appear to be
compounding a mess (like an extra errant refund on the credit card)
simply delete those.

Regards,
Adrien