[GNC] Does it matter the other transactions are entered?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Dec 13 13:28:21 EST 2022

David,

As noted, the order does not matter, however, there is a quirk.

The transactions are listed in the order of entry, for each date.

If you have 10 transactions entered for say 2/15/22, that you type in
today (with the proper February date) they will appear and will affect
the balance in the order that you enter them.

If that matters to you, then as best you can, and if you have time
stamps on your receipts, sort the paper first, then enter them.

This usually only matters for Cash accounts, as those can't reasonably
ever be negative, but there might be other cases.

Another option:

I routinely enter cash receipts days (or more sadly) after the event,
and I no longer bother to sort them all first. Instead, I put the time
stamp in the NUM field and GnuCash sorts them for me just like with the
date. (It would be nice to include the time with the date field, and
still have NUM when needed, but I get by without it.) I use 24-hour
notation like: 15:35, for 3:35pm

Regards,
Adrien