[GNC] Buying with PayPal - how do I split the transaction?

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 09:23:24 EST 2022

>> Given the length of this thread and the apparent confusion documenting
>> PayPal in GnuCash, it might be helpful for someone to add a section to the
>> wiki page at "Using GnuCash" on the different methods people have outlined.
>> IMHO, the Guide and Help cover the overall concepts well enough.

I think it would perhaps be better if instead the Guide and Help
provided some suggested, readily available Accounting 101 (or even more
basic Bookkeeping 101) texts.

The gnucash guide should be more focused on "Keeping double entry books
using gnucash" (what in gnucash might be different). An introduction to
the concept of double entry bookkeeping, yes, but not details like what
is being discussed here and certainly not "all the different ways people
have chosen to do this, whether right or wrong in the accounting sense".

The guide to a word processor, for example, should be about using the
tool, but not trying to include things like "how to write a god essay".

But IF it was wanted (to include a more comprehensive guide) the
qualifications to write such a thing NOT "experienced using gnucash" (an
experienced user) or "experienced designing/writing gnucash" (a
developer) but "an experienced teacher of accounting". Sorry, I am
experienced doing double entry bookkeeping and in my day have taught
many subjects, but not accounting. Note that I am not saying enough to
be an accountant, because being able to do something well does not mean
that one can teach it well.

Michael D Novack