[GNC] Does it matter the other transactions are entered?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 12:09:16 EST 2022

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 at 17:28, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, you can enter transactions in whatever order you like.
>
> However you can you only RECONCILE in date-order, because reconciliation
> is always "from the beginning of time".  So once you reconcile, you cannot
> (easily) add transactions earlier than the latest reconcile date, and you
> cannot reconcile backwards (newest to oldest).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> -derek

What I proposed to do to check that new ones had been entered correctly was

1) Add new entries to my real real accounts, I will call accounts.gnucash
2) Copy accounts.gnucash  to check.gnucash, with the intention of using
check.gnucash only for testing purposes, *and deleting later. *
3) Create a fake entry in check.gnucash to get the amount my bank thinks I
have in early December
4) *Attempt *to reconcile check.gnucash up to the current date
* If  check.gnucash reconciles, *delete *check.gnucash and assume new
entries in accounts.gnucash are entered correctly.
* If  check.gnucash does not reconcile, go back to  accounts.gnucash and
see if there's an error.

By a bit of trickery, it should be possible to check new entries are
correctly entered, and if not sort out the problem.