[GNC] New PC

Stephen M. Butler Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 15:35:53 EST 2022

I can help with (b)  and (c).

On 12/14/22 11:51, Deborah Millington wrote:
> Hello, I'm looking for a bit of help please.  I've used GnuCash for many
> years on a laptop which is now struggling to keep going.  I've got a newer
> (second hand) laptop and need to do a one off transfer of my GnuCash files
> to it so I can use it instead in future.  I'm familiar with backing up my
> files, so I know I can locate them on my old laptop.  I've also installed
> GnuCash on my new laptop.  Here are the things I need help with:
> (a) I should be able to copy my data files to my new laptop and open them
> using GnuCash.  However, I'm sure I've seen something saying that there are
> lots of other settings/config which aren't transferred this way.  Can you
> tell me what these are & how I update them on the new laptop to match what
> is one the old one please?
> (b) In doing the installation, I've discovered that I have been using an
> old version of GnuCash.  Is it worth me backing up my current data file on
> the old version, then installing the new version on the old laptop &
> updating the data file before transferring it, or if I just put the data in
> its existing format onto the new computer will it open the old version data
> in the new version of software OK & allow me to save the data against the
> new software version?

Depends on how old.  If you have a v2 series, then you need to upgrade
some on the old machine.  See how old of a version you can load on your
new machine and get updated to that version on the old box first.  Then
you can do the remainder of the upgrades on the new box.  If you tell
the list the version you have on the old laptop along with the O/S and
that version, then the list can be more specific in the upgrade path.
Also give the O/S and version on the new computer.

> (c) What do I need to do to ensure I get notifications of future updates?
Sign up to this mailing list (gnucash-user).  If this has too much
traffic, then gnucash-announce
<https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-announce> has much
less traffic but does so the announcements (or so I'm told).

> I have checked the help as much as I can before posting this.  I've seen a
> few related posts, but nothing which has specifically addressed all aspects
> of my query.  All help appreciated.  Thank you.

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
kg7je at arrl.net
253-350-0166