[GNC] Buying with PayPal - how do I split the transaction?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 02:36:07 EST 2022

On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 at 05:35, David T. via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> David,
>
> I'm not sure what you mean when you say "documentation," but I don't think
> the Guide or the Help would be appropriate places to make such references.
> Section 2.1 of the Guide gives a few basic explanations on underlying
> accounting concepts. This section, in fact, states that "you do not need to
> have a complete understanding of accounting principles to find it useful."
> This contradicts what you and Michael want to say. Perhaps a balance in the
> advice in the Guide could be found, one that reassures the new user that
> they can effectively use GnuCash, and suggests consulting additional
> resources on double entry accounting.

It does seem to me that the section starts from the very basics

Equity = Assets - Liabilities

but then doesn’t provide enough information about double entry accounting
to make use of the software. If one asks on this mailing list people are
generally very helpful, but at least some people feel that they should not
need to explain how to do double entry accounting principles. Yet the
manual does start like that.

However, if the manual started with “It is assumed that the reader
understands double entry accounting “, then 90% of people would just
uninstall the software.

> As for including actual references, I have misgivings. Two huge issues:
>
> 1. Who would decide on the titles that would be sanctioned for inclusion?

Ask people for suggestions. Might I suggest

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Accounts-Demystified-Astonishingly-Simple-Accounting/dp/1292084847/

It’s in its 7th edition, so it is obviously selling well.  It is not
written by an accountant. As someone wrote earlier, the ability to do a job
doesn’t imply the ability to teach the job. However, I must admit I do have
some reservations about the fact that the author is not a qualified
accountant. But the fact it has gone though multiple editions, and sold
millions of copies, suggests any significant errors would have been bought
to the attention of the author.

> 2. Who would monitor the literature to ensure that the list was kept up to
> date?

Don’t know

Once you get into these issues, the idea becomes much more challenging, and
> I'm not sure it would change anything in the long run. People would just
> not read those books.

Some will, but I have a confession to make about the above book. I bought a
copy, read it a little, found it boring, so put it down. I really don’t
find the subject that interesting.

Then forget that I had it, so ordered a copy. One day I discovered that I
have two copies of the book, although one is an edition previous to the
other. 😂😂😂😂 I must make an effort to read it.

Adding a brief summary about PayPal/Venmo to the Using GnuCash wiki page
> would at least give people who use these a source they could consult to
> help set them up. It does seem to come up on the lists somewhat frequently.

There’s no doubt that small businesses, which the software is aimed at,
often use PayPal. Large businesses, which is not what the software is
suitable for, will rarely accept PayPal.

I think some statements about how to handle fees when selling , as charged
by credit card companies, PayPal, Amazon, Alibaba etc would be useful.

> ⁣David T. ​

Dave.

> --
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom