[GNC] Not exactly a new question. Am I introductory screwing up by entering 0 balances in accounts.

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 17:11:13 EST 2022

Actually, not a specific gnucash question and while I am US (and file
taxes here) anyone who understands double entry bookkeeping could answer.

Because you are asking "how do I enter a transaction if I know it might
have to be corrected later?" The point is that you CAN later enter a
correction transaction. In formal accounting you do NOT change past
entries. Instead you enter a correcting transaction, in the
description, explaining and identifying the transaction that is being
corrected.

So enter it NOW the way you think it should be, If later you discover
should have been a different account, etc. enter a correction transaction.

In other words, suppose you THINK the proper credit account is
"expense1". But later you learn (you say the IRS tells you) should have
been "expense2". So you enter a correction transaction debiting expense2
and crediting expense1 << moves the expense for expense1 to expense2 >>
They are BOTH "in the Journal". If this was an IRS ordered correction
you might be dating it for during YE processing and rerunning your YE
reports to reflect the change in the correct tax year.

Michael D Novack

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.