[GNC] Roth IRA conversion

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 14:49:09 EST 2022

Michael,

While I fully respect your answer, with over 45 million IRA accounts in the US (according to one source I found online), this is a pretty common circumstance. It should be possible for basic guidance to be given by *someone*, without all 45 million consulting an accountant. I personally don't know the answer.

A thread from April 2021 included the following advice (which I've edited slightly) :

Create income accounts:

- Non-Taxable Income - 401(k) Contributions (not tagged in Tax Report Options)
- 401(k) Withdrawals - Contra (not tagged in Tax Report Options), and
- Taxable Income - 401(k) Withdrawals (*is* tagged in the Tax Report Options)

At the time of the contribution you enter:

Dr. 401(k) Asset Account
Cr. Non-Taxable Income - 401(k) Contributions

Your income statement would include the amount as income but your tax report would not.

At the time of withdrawal you enter:

Dr. Non-401(k) Asset Account
Cr. 401(k) Asset Account
Dr. 401(k) Withdrawals - Contra
Cr. Taxable Income - 401(k) Withdrawals

Your income statement would not include the withdrawal as income (since the last two entries cancel each other) but your tax report would.

I won't vouch for the legality or validity of the approach, but it seems to make sense to me, and it appears to allow the user to have books that match what they will see from their financial institution.

⁣David T. ​