[GNC] Why can't accounts called "Credit Card" be "A/Payable"?

Eric Chapman gnucashlist at etchapman.com
Tue Dec 20 13:49:38 EST 2022

I'm still working on workflow for recording purchases made via credit
card. I am wondering:

Why can't accounts called "Credit Card" be marked as "A/Payable" so that
I can post straight from a New Bill into that liability account?

Seems to me that if I have the credit side of the New Bill transaction
be some account marked as "A/Payable", then I'm going to have move that
amount to the Credit Card sometime as an extra step.

*Current workflow: *When a bill gets posted, it would be recorded like
this (since, best I can tell GnuCash requires that the posting acct be
an "A/Payable": marked account, and that characteristic is impossible
for credit card type accounts):

    /*Debit*///Expense or asset
    ///*Credit*/ A/Payable acct

    Sometime this journal entry would have to happen (when?):

    /*Debit*/ A/Payable acct for amounts on credit card
    /*Credit*/ Credit Card acct

    When the payment reflected on the credit card statement is recorded,
    it would be:

    /*Debit*/ Credit Card acct
    /*Credit*/ Checking acct

Seems to me that this workflow would be better, but I do not think it'll
work with GnuCash:

*Shorter workflow: *When a bill gets posted.

    /*Debit*///Expense or asset
    /*Credit*/ Credit Card acct

    When the payment reflected on the credit card statement is recorded,
    it would be:

    /*Debit*/ Credit Card acct
    /*Credit*/ Checking acct

Comments? Advice? Corrections?