[GNC] How to handle inventory assets in GnuCash?

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Wed Dec 21 16:37:08 EST 2022

On 12/21/2022 4:04 PM, R Losey wrote:
> Granted, and all good points, but they weren't listed in the original
> question, so it gives a better idea of what you are looking for.

No, I was trying to explain that an "inventory system" deals with things
way outside the scope of something like gnucash. Gnucash is handling
what is known as the "general ledger" portion of an overall business
system.

In my use of gnucash (for non-profit organizations) it proved adequate
for dealing with "inventory" because this was VERY limited. None of the
organizations was doing much more that required inventory than selling
and/or giving to volunteers "swag" like organizational tee shirts, mugs,
etc. Just needed to track well enough to be able to produce "sales",
:"cost of goods sold", and "recognition expense" (for the 990-EZ) and
never more than a few batches (FIFO to get cost).and never more than one
new batch per year of that.

But would be totally inadequate for a business that was selling goods,
hundreds of different things, each with batches.

Michael D Novack