[GNC] How can I refund this payment through PayPal, using business feature?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Dec 21 18:42:13 EST 2022

On 12/21/22 5:04 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 at 21:39, Adrien Monteleone <
> adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't see why you went through the trouble of steps 2-4.
>

> Thank you. I  showed my accountant my proposed layout and he didn’t
> comment. Maybe he didn’t notice.
>
> I will remove those accounts and start entering the transactions for about
> the 4th time.  😢😢😢😢 It’s obviously sensible to start right.

Just un-post, edit and re-post. Still work, but no need to start over.

You can right-click a payment and choose Edit Payment if needed as well.

> I believe that Accounts Payable will need sub accounts for GBP, USD and
> EUR. Not having three Accounts Payable in each currency should make posting
> bills easier, as I will not have to select Bank, PayPal or eBay. If there’s
> only one choice with the matching currency I assume that GnuCash with know
> where to post.

You do need separate AP for each currency, true. (or at least I've heard
it helps, it may indeed be required)

As for smart guessing, that I'm not so sure of, but you never know till
you try. In a worst case, you can still choose the one you want. Posting
isn't automatic.

>> I suppose if you managed to get back to zero, no harm no foul, but I'd
>> anticipate you're going to have a big mess in the future with that setup.
>

> Okay, I will start again.
>

>> AP is usually one bucket - for all payables. GnuCash tracks each vendor
>> for you, and neither your Bank, nor PayPal are vendors either. They are
>> sources of funds, thus Assets.
>

> I have not set them up as vendors.

I didn't think so, which is why I didn't understand the need for AP
accounts for them.

The *usual & generic* transaction flow should go something like this:

New Bill from Vendor
-----
Dr. Expenses
   Cr. AP

Paying the Bill
-----
Dr. AP
   Cr. Assets

('Assets' being your payment method/source of funds - Cash, Bank,
PayPal, Credit Card, Gift Card, etc.)

Return/Cancellation/Refund from Vendor (full or partial) - as a Credit Note
-----
Dr. AP
   Cr. Expenses

Receipt of funds from Vendor
-----
Dr. Assets
   Cr. AP

If you end up with a Credit Note situation before (fully) paying the
original Bill, you can simply post the Credit Note, then Process Payment
selecting both the Bill & Credit Note to offset each other. (partially
or fully, as the case may be)

Regards,
Adrien