[GNC] What determines the order of transaction is CSV file?

William Prescott will at theprescotts.com
Fri Dec 23 18:29:54 EST 2022

It would be pretty simple to add a column next to the date. Then put a formula in the new column that made it equal to the date in the adjacent column if there was one, and to the date in the preceding line if it was blank. Then sort on the new column.

Will

On Dec 23, 2022, at 16:26, Dr. David Kirkby <drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2022 at 21:39, Phyllis Bruce <pobruce46 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have not used Libre Office much but it is very similar to Excel.  Excel
> allows me to choose my entire spreadsheet and then sort it in any order -
> and on any column I wish.  I'd guess Libre Office has that ability.
>
> For reasons I don't know, it's quite tricky to do in my version of
LibraOffice. However, even in Excel this would not work, as some lines have
no dates on them. Each transaction takes up at least two lines (a debit on
one line, and a credit on another). If there are multiple splits, then
there will be more than two lines per transaction. However, only the first
line of each transaction has a date, so less than half the lines in the
file have a date. If sorted by date,  the first line of each transaction
would be in order, then all the lines with no date would follow.